Friday, February 6, 2009

My Secret Love Affair

I am having a secret affair. I am in love and I just can't get enough. It's been going on for years, and the time has come where I can no longer keep it to myself. I want sing it out from the highest mountain tops, and I am going to do just that.There was a time that this love affair would have been forbidden, punishable by a beating or even death. Granted, this time period was before I was born, and I am grateful for this. I know that I am not the only one who has had an affair of this sort before; and it is because of this that I feel that I must speak out and tell the world!!!!!

I AM IN LOVE WITH BOOKS!!!!!!
Yes that is my secret. Books are the secret love of my life, but it shouldn't be a secret. I should tell everyone that I meet that I LOVE BOOKS (For all of my slow ppl I literally mean a book, I know I use nicknames on my blog, but this time I am referring to an object not a person).





I have decided to go public with our affair because I was watching TV and saw a commercial about Black History Month. As I watch the commercial I thought of all the books that I have read and how grateful I should be for the ability to read and write freely. I have read many books depicting the period in American history that people like myself were not permitted to read. It was actually illegal, and here I am hiding my love for reading. I felt like I was insulting all of my ancestors by not being proud of my love of reading. To honor their memory and struggle for all the right that we now have because of them I have decided to start reading all of the great black authors through out history. I am starting by reading all the books that I didn't read in high school that are on the reading list. The book that I have started is Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison. Every time I start a new book I will do a post about the book and its author. When I finish the book I will write a post about what the book has taught me. I think everyone should join me in honoring our ancestors by reading as much as you can.

It doesn't have to be a book I read, it can be any book. JUST READ!!!!!


B
ooks are the legacies that a great genius leaves to
mankind, which are delivered down from generation to
generation as presents to the posterity of those who are yet unborn,
~ Joseph Addison ~

No comments:

Post a Comment